|Category||Health Care General||Job type||Full Time|
What You Will Do:
I. General Summary:
The Healthcare Data Scientist position will join our Advanced Data Science group at the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) in support of its strategic priority to become a data-driven and outcomes-oriented organization. The successful candidate will have 3+ years of experience with Machine Learning, Predictive Modeling, Statistical Analysis, Mathematical Optimization, Algorithm Development and a passion for working with healthcare data. Previous experience with various computational approaches along with an ability to demonstrate a portfolio of relevant prior projects is essential. This position will report to the UMMS Vice President for Enterprise Data and Analytics (ED&A).
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Develops and manages predictive (machine learning and deep learning) and prescriptive (mathematical optimization and simulation) analytic models in support of the organization's clinical, operations and business initiatives and priorities.
• Deploys solutions so that they provide actionable insights to the organization and are embedded or integrated with application systems
• Supports and drives analytic efforts designed around organization's strategic priorities and clinical/business problems
• Works in a team to drive disruptive innovation, which may translate into improved quality of care, clinical outcomes, reduced costs, temporal efficiencies and process improvements.
• Builds and extends our analytics portfolio supported by robust documentation
• Works with autonomy to find solutions to complex problems using open source tools and in-house development
• Stays abreast of state-of-the-art literature in the fields of operations research, statistical modeling, statistical process control and mathematical optimization
• Creates and communicates project plans and other required project documentation and provides updates to leadership as necessary
• Develops and maintains relationships with business, IT and clinical leaders and stakeholders across the enterprise to facilitate collaboration and effective communication
• Works with the analytics team and clinical/business stakeholders to develop pilots so that they may be tested and validated in pilot/incubator settings
• Performs analysis to evaluate primary and secondary objectives from such pilots
• Assists leadership with strategies for scaling successful projects across the organization and enhances the analytics applications based on feedback from end-users and clinical/business consumers
• Assists leadership with dissemination of success stories (and failures) in an effort to increase analytics literacy and adoption across the organization.
What You Need to Be Successful:
III. Education and Experience:
• Master's degree in applied mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, statistics or a related field required; PhD degree preferred.
• Background in computer science, operations research, statistics or a physical engineering discipline.
• 3+ years of Machine Learning/Predictive Analytics and Mathematical Optimization experience (to include time in graduate program for applicants with PhD degrees). Prior experience with Python and R is a must (experience with tools such as WEKA, RapidMiner, or other open source tools are strongly preferred).
• Ability to develop and apply computational algorithms and statistical methods to healthcare data (including, but not limited to data from electronic medical record, financial management, human resource, quality and supply chain)
• Ability to develop and deploy healthcare-relevant predictive and prescriptive models.
• Ability to perform standard statistical analysis.
• Ability to formulate and solve mathematical (deterministic and stochastic) optimization problems and simulation; prior experience in Arena, FlexSim or similar environments.
• Experience with discrete-event-simulation strongly preferred.
• Robust experience with SQL
• Intermediate development skills in Python.
• Ability to combine analytic methods and advanced data visualizations.
• Experience with Big Data technologies, including Hadoop.
• Expert ability to break down and clearly define problems.
• Experience with text mining and Natural Language Processing (NLP) desirable.
IV. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability and experience to develop (from scratch) machine learning and/or deep learning approaches to solve clinical and business (including operations, supply chain, human resources, finance) problems.
• Knowledge of databases, data structures, data processing and data mining.
• Ability and experience to perform independent/unsupervised exploratory data analysis and statistical analysis (e.g., ANOVA, regression analysis, propensity-score matched cohort analysis).
• Ability to formulate and solve complex mathematical optimization problems and solve using exact and heuristic approaches.
• Ability to develop complex process models using discrete-event-simulation.
• Ability to program independently in Python (intermediate skills); ability to participate in software platform and web application development.
• Proven communications skills - Effective at working independently and in collaboration with other staff members. Capable of artful storytelling and clearly presenting findings in oral and written format and through graphics. Proven analytical skills - Able to compare, contrast, and validate work with keen attention to detail. Skilled in working with "real world" data including scrubbing, transformation, and imputation.
• Proven problem solving skills - Able to plan work, set clear direction, and coordinate own tasks in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment. Expert at triaging issues, identifying data anomalies, and debugging software.
• Design and prototype new application functionality for our products.
• Change oriented - actively generates process improvements; supports and drives change, and confronts difficult circumstances in creative ways.
• Effective communicator and change agent.
• Ability to prioritize the tasks of the project timeline to achieve the desired results.
• Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
• Ability to cooperatively and effectively work with people from various organization levels.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
|Employer||University of Maryland Medical Center|